Mexican president cancels meeting with President Donald Trump

Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto says he will no longer travel to the U.S. to meet with President Donald Trump amid a mounting conflict over Trump's proposed border wall.

In a tweet sent out late Thursday morning, Nieto said, "This morning we informed the White House I will not attend the business meeting scheduled for next Tuesday with [President Trump.]"

The announcement came shortly after Trump had tweeted that it would "be better" for Nieto to cancel the meeting.

SEE MORE: Find out which campaign promises Trump has already kept

"The U.S. has a 60 billion dollar trade deficit with Mexico. It has been a one-sided deal from the beginning of NAFTA with massive numbers ... of jobs and companies lost. If Mexico is unwilling to pay for the badly needed wall, then it would be better to cancel the upcoming meeting," Trump said on Twitter.

A summit between the two presidents had been scheduled for next week, but the leaders have been locked in an ongoing public battle over the funding for a proposed wall along the U.S.-Mexican border.

Trump has repeatedly insisted that the Mexican government should be forced to pay for the wall and Nieto has repeatedly refused to.

RELATED: See where "the wall" already exists along the border

Trump signed an executive order on Wednesday directing the construction of the wall.

"I believe the steps we will take starting right now will improve the safety in both of our countries," Trump said as he announced the orders. "A nation without borders is not a nation."

Nieto promptly responded by "rejecting" Trump's order.

"Where there is a Mexican migrant at risk that requires our support, your country should be there," he said late Wednesday, vowing to protect Mexican immigrants in the United States.