Dozens of US Jewish centers report second wave of bomb threats

NEW YORK, Jan 18 (Reuters) - At least 28 Jewish community centers in 17 U.S. states reported receiving false telephone bomb threats on Wednesday, prompting evacuations in the second wave of hoax attacks to target American Jewish facilities this month.

The JCC Association of North America, a network of health and education centers, said the threatened organizations were working with local police and many had resumed operations after no bombs were found or injuries reported, as was the case after the earlier series of threats on Jan. 9.

11 PHOTOS
US Jewish centers receiving bomb threats
See Gallery
US Jewish centers receiving bomb threats
Update: @MiamiBeachPD has cleared the scene, no threat located. #Traffic has now reopened as well as the JCC. https://t.co/bvXp1244Xt
UPDATE: Police give all clear after bomb threat at Jewish Community Center in Newton https://t.co/yRPOdS3D08 https://t.co/Wep7Y5wOE5
And here's a seventh bomb threat against a Jewish community center today: Tenafly, New Jersey. https://t.co/Au9JI7pgfc
A Jewish center in #Orlando was evacuated for the 2nd time in 24 hours over a phoned-in threat… https://t.co/CAvk9BWAB3
Bomb Threat Forces Evacuation of St. Louis Jewish Community Center https://t.co/JbIUx2Q6FY
UPDATE: Bomb threat reported against Jewish center in Scotch Plains, New Jersey https://t.co/zbcIZswPae
JUST IN: Jewish Community Center of Metro Detroit evacuated after bomb threat. Police searching building now.
Report of suspicious package at Maitland Jewish Community Center https://t.co/1i16oVNpMe
Maitland Police say bomb threat came in at about 10 a.m. Voice described as 'robotic' said explosive was in Pre-K area of Maitland JCC.
#BREAKING: Miami Beach Police respond to bomb threat made at MB JCC; Building has since been evacuated https://t.co/V7IA3LScfZ
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

Noone claimed responsibility for the calls on Wednesday or nine days ago and the Federal Bureau of Investigation has not named any suspects or described a likely motive.

In Miami Beach, a center received a call at 9:54 a.m. (1454 GMT) and was evacuated, local police said on Twitter. Officers and police dogs searched the area but found no bomb and the center reopened, they said.

Two centers in Connecticut said on Facebook they had received threatening phone calls and had evacuated. No bombs were found, they said.

The Jan. 9 threats targeted 16 Jewish community centers in nine U.S. states, prompting the FBI to look into the source of the calls, some of them made using an automated "robocall" system.

An FBI spokeswoman could not immediately be reached on Wednesday.

It was not immediately clear if there was overlap between centers that received calls on Jan. 9 and those that received them on Wednesday, but the volume of threats was unheard-of, said Paul Goldenberg, national director of the Secure Community Network, a nonprofit that advises Jewish groups on security.

"These are individuals or groups that want to disrupt our way of life," Goldenberg said, adding that they would not succeed. "We're not going to shut down institutions because of this."

The calls on Wednesday were similar to those last week, the JCC Association of North America said in a statement. After the earlier threats, staff took part in training and reviewed security plans, it said.

"While we're extremely proud of our JCCs for professionally handling yet another threatening situation, we are concerned about the anti-Semitism behind these threats," David Posner, director of strategic performance at the association, said in the statement. (Reporting by David Ingram in New York; Editing by Andrew Hay)

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.