Tortoise accused of starting fire that caused $150K in damage

A 150-pound pet tortoise has been blamed for starting a fire that caused $150,000 in damage to a home in San Antonio.

Firefighters said it looks like the animal knocked over a heat lamp inside its cage, which ignited the blaze shortly after midnight on Tuesday, KSAT reports.

The fire spread to the walls, attic and home next door by the time it was extinguished, and surprisingly caused minimal damage to the pet owner's home.

According to KSAT, no one was harmed -- including the troublemaking tortoise.

See more photos of turtles:

1 PHOTOS
Galapagos turtles
See Gallery
Galapagos turtles
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.