Kerosene, gasoline mix-up at North Carolina convenience store blamed for house fires
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (WGHP) -– The Winston-Salem Fire Department now says a second house fire has been tied to the mix-up that left a store selling gasoline from its kerosene pump.
The second fire was reported at 5029 Lansing Drive in Winston-Salem Thursday morning.
There were no injuries in that fire, which started when gasoline spilled and ignited, burning a small part of carpet in the house.
Authorities have identified three of six people who bought gasoline when they thought they were buying kerosene from the Akron Market Citgo station at 3890 Glenn Ave.
See more related to this story:
The Winston Salem Fire Department is investigating this as an accident.
Jackie Copeland lives on Doris Street. Her son was one of the people who bought the wrong fuel, which started a heater fire Wednesday night.
"I heard a boom," Copeland said. "That's when I looked up when he said 'oh shoot.' When I looked up he was on fire. It was like 'boom' and I didn't know what to do."
Copeland says her son ran out of the house with the burning heater. He has minor burns on his hands.
"If Cory wouldn't have been here to take that kerosene heater out, the house wouldn't be standing here right now," Copeland said.
Copeland hopes the other people who made the purchases are located. She also wants gas stations to test out the fuel before putting it in. She hopes that would lessen the possibility of a mix-up.