Kerosene, gasoline mix-up at North Carolina convenience store blamed for house fires

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (WGHP) -– The Winston-Salem Fire Department now says a second house fire has been tied to the mix-up that left a store selling gasoline from its kerosene pump.

The second fire was reported at 5029 Lansing Drive in Winston-Salem Thursday morning.

There were no injuries in that fire, which started when gasoline spilled and ignited, burning a small part of carpet in the house.

Authorities have identified three of six people who bought gasoline when they thought they were buying kerosene from the Akron Market Citgo station at 3890 Glenn Ave.

See more related to this story:

6 PHOTOS
Kerosene, gasoline mix-up blamed for NC house fires
See Gallery
Kerosene, gasoline mix-up blamed for NC house fires
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

The Winston Salem Fire Department is investigating this as an accident.

Jackie Copeland lives on Doris Street. Her son was one of the people who bought the wrong fuel, which started a heater fire Wednesday night.

"I heard a boom," Copeland said. "That's when I looked up when he said 'oh shoot.' When I looked up he was on fire. It was like 'boom' and I didn't know what to do."

Copeland says her son ran out of the house with the burning heater. He has minor burns on his hands.

"If Cory wouldn't have been here to take that kerosene heater out, the house wouldn't be standing here right now," Copeland said.

Copeland hopes the other people who made the purchases are located. She also wants gas stations to test out the fuel before putting it in. She hopes that would lessen the possibility of a mix-up.

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.