Teen surfer bitten by shark while wearing device said to reduce risk of attack

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon

A Florida teen is lucky to be a live after a surprise encounter with a shark that he says occurred even though he was wearing a device designed to reduce the risk of an attack.

Read: For the Love of Cod! Some Restaurants Are Serving Cheaper Fish Than What's on the Menu, Investigation Finds

Zack Davis, 16, was surfing Tuesday in St. Lucie County when a shark appeared out of nowhere and attacked him.

"When I was underwater I just felt like pressure and a bite on my right arm so I just got out of the water and ran to shore as quick as possible," he told Inside Edition.

6 PHOTOS
Florida teen has a surprise encounter with a shark
See Gallery
Florida teen has a surprise encounter with a shark
Photo: INSIDE EDITION
Photo: INSIDE EDITION
Photo: INSIDE EDITION
Photo: INSIDE EDITION
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

At the time, Davis was wearing a SharkBanz, a device swimmers and surfers wear on their wrists or ankles.

A promotional video from the company claims the device wards off sharks with a high-powered magnet. In a demonstration, sharks are seen keeping away from bait with the SharkBanz, but return to devour it when the device is taken off.

Davis says he got the $80 anti-shark apparatus for Christmas. He says he wore it exactly once — the day he was bitten.

"I've been surfing that beach for three years and have seen sharks there but have never been bit but the first time I put it on, that's when I got bit," he said.

The co-founder of Sharkbanz reportedly said the company stands behind the Sharkbanz device and wanted to reach out to Zack to find out how the attack happened. He also said "I'm really relieved he is ok and he was super positive about his recovery."

The company says this is the first time anyone has been attacked while wearing the device. "What happened here is essentially the rarest of shark encounters where Zack jumped off his board and pretty much landed on the shark. If anything it [the device] probably helped clear the shark out of the area quicker." SharkBanz scientists reportedly reviewed the incident and believe the shark let go of the boy's arm quicker because of the technology.

Davis wrapped his arm with the leash from his surfboard to slow the bleeding. He required 47 stitches and was released from the hospital on Wednesday.

Read: After Boy's Death at Disney, Alligators Are Still in the Water Near Resort

Davis doesn't think he will wear the SharkBanz again, but he's not afraid to go back surfing.

"It's probably going to be a while, but I'm going to go back out when I can," he said.

Watch: Catch of the Day: Shark Fisherman Reels in a Kilo of Cocaine During Excursion


Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners

Don't Get Too Close To a Newborn Giraffe Unless You Want to Get Kicked in the Nuts Don't Get Too Close To a Newborn Giraffe Unless You Want to Get Kicked in the Nuts
Man Suspects His Wife Is Cheating On Him - Then His Daughter Reveals What's Really Going Man Suspects His Wife Is Cheating On Him - Then His Daughter Reveals What's Really Going
Nature Gets Revenge On Safari Hunter Who Killed Elephants And Lions For Sport Nature Gets Revenge On Safari Hunter Who Killed Elephants And Lions For Sport