Horrific video shows e-cigarette burst into flames in man's pocket

MANHATTAN (WPIX) -– Surveillance video from inside the Central Cellars wine shop in Grand Central station showed the moment an electronic cigarette exploded in an employee's pocket Wednesday morning.

Byron Gonzalez witnessed the explosion.

"There were sparks everywhere and panic and mayhem," he said. "He's in the hospital right now with third degree burns."

"I saw fireworks, I felt the heat," Jonathan Lee said. "I think these e-cigarettes should be looked at a little bit more carefully."

Shop owners said the hurt employee underwent surgery Wednesday afternoon and is expected to be out of work for at least a month.

Learn more about the devices:

3 PHOTOS
e-cigarettes ecig
See Gallery
e-cigarettes ecig
LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 27: E-Cigarettes are sold at the V-Revolution E-Cigarette shop in Covent Garden on August 27, 2014 in London, England. The Department of Health have ruled out the outlawing of 'e-cigs' in enclosed spaces in England, despite calls by WHO, The World Health Organisation to do so. WHO have recommended a ban on indoor smoking of e-cigs as part of tougher regulation of products dangerous to children. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)
LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 27: Different flavours for E-Cigarettes are sold at the V-Revolution E-Cigarette shop in Covent Garden on August 27, 2014 in London, England. The Department of Health have ruled out the outlawing of 'e-cigs' in enclosed spaces in England, despite calls by WHO, The World Health Organisation to do so. WHO have recommended a ban on indoor smoking of e-cigs as part of tougher regulation of products dangerous to children. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

Read Full Story