The United States military detected a failed ballistic missile test launch in North Korea near the northwestern city of Kusong, the Pentagon said on Saturday. Even though the United Nations prohibits North Korea from using any ballistic or nuclear technology, the isolated nation has still gone forward with several missile tests this year.
"We strongly condemn this and North Korea's other recent missile tests, which violate U.N. Security Council Resolutions explicitly prohibiting North Korea's launches using ballistic missile technology," Pentagon spokesman Gary Ross said in a statement, as quoted by CNN. According to Reuters, Ross added that the U.S.'s commitment to regional allies such as South Korea and Japan, two countries threatened often by North Korean weapons tests, remained "iron clad."
The North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) stated that the test launch posed no threat to North America. Additionally, the BBC reports that there has been "no reaction" from North Korea.
3) Then it was off to Switzerland to attend boarding school.
Called "Pak Un" and described as the son of an employee of the North Korean embassy, Jong Un is thought to have attended an English-language international school in Gümligen near Bern.
4) Jong Un loved basketball and idolized Michael Jordan.
The young Korean reportedly had posters of Jordan all over his walls during his Swiss school days. Although Jong Un was overweight and only 5-6, he was a decent basketball player.
(Photo by Alexander Hassenstein/Bongarts/Getty Images)
5) After school in Switzerland, he returned home for military schooling.
Upon his return to North Korea, Jong Un attended Kim Il Sung Military University with his older brother. Some reports say they started to attend their father's military field inspections around 2007.
(Photo by Liu Xingzhe/ChinaFotoPress via Getty Images)
6) Jong Un has a theme song known as "Footsteps."
"Footsteps" looks and sounds like a propaganda song from the Soviet Union.
7) Many North Koreans see Jong Un as a youthful version of "Great Leader" Kim Il Sung.
Kim bears a clear resemblance to his grandfather, Kim Il Sung, in appearance, haircut, and mannerisms.
(Photo: Wikimedia Commons)
10) But at the end of December 2013, Jong Un had his uncle and his uncle's family executed, apparently in a bid to stop a coup against his rule.
12) Jong Un lived out a childhood fantasy when former Chicago Bulls star Dennis Rodman visited.
Everyone in the family is apparently a huge Chicago Bulls fans.
(Photo courtesy of VICE)
13) But recently, things haven't been going so well.
In 2013 he was reportedly the target of an assassination attempt. South Korean intelligence believes the young leader was targeted by "disgruntled people inside the North" after he demoted a four-star general, which resulted in a power struggle.