Video captures terrifying moment vaping device explodes in woman's bag

OLD BRIDGE, N.J. (WPIX) — Mara McInerney got the shock of her life when her vaping device exploded in her $1,200 Louis Vuitton bag.

McInerney was checking out of a sunglasses store at the Freehold Raceway Mall in New Jersey when a huge cloud of smoke erupted from her bag.

She escaped injury but the experience left her terrified.

However, she told PIX 11 News it could have been worse if the explosion happened in her car where she keeps her bag on the back seat next to her daughter.

There have been scores of fires and explosions of e-cigarettes and vape pens that have caused serious injuries. The culprit has been the ion lithium Batteries that power 95 percent of all electronic mobile devices.

More on e-cigarettes:

3 PHOTOS
e-cigarettes ecig
See Gallery
e-cigarettes ecig
LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 27: E-Cigarettes are sold at the V-Revolution E-Cigarette shop in Covent Garden on August 27, 2014 in London, England. The Department of Health have ruled out the outlawing of 'e-cigs' in enclosed spaces in England, despite calls by WHO, The World Health Organisation to do so. WHO have recommended a ban on indoor smoking of e-cigs as part of tougher regulation of products dangerous to children. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)
LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 27: Different flavours for E-Cigarettes are sold at the V-Revolution E-Cigarette shop in Covent Garden on August 27, 2014 in London, England. The Department of Health have ruled out the outlawing of 'e-cigs' in enclosed spaces in England, despite calls by WHO, The World Health Organisation to do so. WHO have recommended a ban on indoor smoking of e-cigs as part of tougher regulation of products dangerous to children. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

Read Full Story