10 amazing reasons to love pit bulls
Did you know that the pit bull isn't a single dog breed? The term is actually used to describe different types of breeds, including the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Bully and others.
Although these dogs sometimes get a bad rap, here are 10 reasons why we should all love pit bulls.
SEE ALSO: 10 incredible scientific discoveries about dogs
1. Pit bulls make great therapy dogs. One dog trainer said he works exclusively with pit bulls because they have great personalities and are extremely empathetic.
2. They are great family dogs. Pit bulls are an outgoing, caring breed and play well with children.
3. Pit bulls aren't as scary as you think. While people think they have the worst bite, it is actually the Rottweiler who have the most powerful bite.
4. They were models for war propaganda during the 20th century. Some of the posters around WWI and WWII showcased the breed in a very patriotic way.
5. Pit bulls are patriotic. They were the most decorated dog during WWI and served in 17 battles.
6. Pit bulls are famous. They have been on the cover of 'Life Magazine' three times -- more than any other type of dog.
7. They have fun under the sun. If you live in warmer climates, then this is the dog for you -- pit bulls thrive in warmer weather because of their short coats
8. Pit bulls aren't very loud. They don't bark often and if they do, it's usually because they are usually bored
9. Pit bulls are mild-mannered. They actually scale better on the American Temperament Test Society than other breeds, like miniature schnauzers.
10. They are just plain cute... how can anyone not love their little faces?
RELATED: Dogs with really expressive faces