Woman's horrific reaction to getting poison ivy on her eyes goes viral
Common sense dictates that getting poison ivy on your eyes isn't exactly a great idea.
But on Sunday morning, 17-year-old Lauren Petrozza of Newington, Connecticut shared a picture of her 21-year-old sister Emily on Twitter that will burn that lesson into your brain forever.
For reference, here's a before photo of Emily before she suffered the horrific allergic reaction (pictured below on the left, with Lauren on the right):
And here she is after:
DONT GET POISON IVY ON YOUR EYES pic.twitter.com/yy9oOf2sHM
— Laur (@lauren_petrozza) June 13, 2016
By Wednesday morning, Emily had achieved internet fame, with the initial photos being retweeted over 33,000 times and liked over 58,000 times, and outlets like Buzzfeed, Yahoo and NBC all reporting on her story.
"40K people are laughing at my sister," Lauren posted Tuesday morning.
40K people are laughing at my sister
— Laur (@lauren_petrozza) June 14, 2016
Emily is reportedly taking the incident like a trooper, finding the humor in the painful situation.
"I want people to know I'm not mad at my sister for posting the picture in the first place. We always joke around with each other and neither of us ever expected it to turn out like this," Emily told WTIC.
By Tuesday night, Emily was reportedly doing much better after taking medication for two days, and can now "actually open" her eyes.
Emily, who says she believes she got the poison ivy in her eyes by rubbing them either after fishing or taking care of feral cats, hopes that this incident serves as a lesson to others to always wash your hands after coming indoors from doing activities outside.
As for Lauren? She seems to be enjoying her and her sister's newfound fame immensely.
calls and articles from buzzfeed, yahoo news, nbc, all bc my sisters an idiot 😂
— Laur (@lauren_petrozza) June 15, 2016