4 trends from New York Fashion Week you can wear right now
Our team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the products and deals we love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links below, we may receive a commission. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
Twice a year, New York Fashion Week presents the upcoming trends for the next season on the runway, but that doesn’t mean you have to wait a few months to wear them. Plenty of trends coming for Fall 2020 are totally applicable now, and easy to incorporate into your everyday wardrobe.
Case in point: vegan leather. Leather was included in almost every runway this season, but some (if not most) designers are leaning towards the faux kind. And, we don’t hate it! Vegan leather (as it’s often called) is not only cruelty-free, but more sustainably-made and typically less expensive.
Trend: Vegan leather
- Shop: Topshop Paperbag Waist Faux Leather Shorts, $55
- Shop: Free People Fenix Faux Leather Moto Jacket, $118.80 (Orig. $198)
- Shop: Topshop Faux Leather Shirtdress, $49.99 (Orig. $100)
- Shop: Universal Standard Fatima Faux Leather Camisole, $68
- Shop: Nanushka Cancun Vegan Leather Blazer, $585
- Shop: Lele Sadoughi Faux Leather Knotted Headband, $65
Faux leather is easy to wear pretty much anytime of the year! Go with a classic motor jacket or elevate your jean look with a blazer-style. You can also add a small a touch of vegan leather with a simple headband.
Keep scrolling for more trends from NYFW to incorporate into your #OOTD and shop them at a more affordable price.
Trend: Cut outs
- Shop: BDG Urban Outfitters Cutout Mock Neck Crop Sweater, $49
- Shop: superdown Tali Mini Dress, $66
- Shop: 1.STATE Cross Neck Cold Shoulder Cotton Blend Sweater, $89
- Shop: Cinq à Sept Sola Ring Cutout Dress, $395
Cut out dresses are nothing new — they add a little sexy somethin’ something to any look. However, this NYFW, they were incorporated into long sleeve tops, sweaters, skirts and more at Eckhaus Latta, Brandon Maxwell, Prabal Gurung and other brands. Whether you’re a modest dresser or prefer to bare a little skin, there’s a cut-out style for you.
Trend: Punk plaids
- Shop: Lioness Hey You Plaid Twist-Front Shirt Dress, $79
- Shop: Dr. Martens ‘Jadon’ Boot, $179.95
- Shop: Volcom Frochickie Plaid High Waist Pants, $59.59
- Shop: Treasure & Bone Plaid Moto Jacket, $89.40
Many designers, from Christian Cowan to Zimmerman and R13, featured punk-inspired looks on the runway. But this upcoming season, Monse is playing a major role in setting the edgy tone. Its runway was filled with mixed plaid prints and colors with asymmetrical hemlines and necklines.
Trend: Sparkly fringe
- Shop: Nasty Gal You Festive Thing Cropped Fringed Sweater, $25 (Orig. $76)
- Shop: Topshop Diamante Faux Leather Shoulder Bag, $48
- Shop: Nasty Gal Party Crasher Tiered Fringe Jacket, $38 (Orig. $143)
- Shop: BaubleBar Mata Evil Eye Statement Drop Earrings, $44
The runways at Christian Siriano and AREA were filled not only with sparkles and fringe, but a bold combo of both. While the obvious place to rock a little glitter is over the weekend or to a party, you can find more subtle ways to incorporate it into your wardrobe, like earrings and handbags, for everyday embellishments.
If anything, we also learned this NYFW that brightly colored monochromatic looks aren’t going anywhere, along with tailored suits and chain accents. Incorporate any of these trends into your wardrobe now and become your own street-style star.