Cheesy cauliflower and leek gratin is the side dish everyone will enjoy
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
Need more vegetables on the table? Try this cauliflower and leek gratin. Kids will love the cheesy sauce and added bacon, and so will the adults!
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), sliced into ½ inch slices
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 1-2 leeks, white and light green part only, very thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups sharp white cheddar, grated
- Heat oven to 425° F.
- Drizzle olive oil onto the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish. Layer about a half of the cauliflower along the bottom, and about a half of the leeks. Drizzle with more olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Repeat until all of the cauliflower and leeks are used.
- Season the top layer with olive oil, salt and pepper, then pour over cream. Scatter cheese on top. Then, lightly cover with foil and place in the oven.
- Bake until cauliflower is nearly tender, 15-20 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake for 30-35 minutes or until cream has thickened and reduced almost completely, and the top is golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before eating.