This fried green tomato recipe served with spicy tartar sauce is a southern staple
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
These fried green tomatoes are the perfect solution for when you're craving southern comfort food and want it fast.
- 4 green tomatoes, sliced into 1/3"
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3 cups finely crushed kettle potato chips
- canola oil for frying
For spicy tartar sauce:
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapeño
- 2 cups fresh cilantro
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Heat 1 inch of canola oil in a large skillet over medium to 350° F.
- Make spicy tartar sauce by combining all ingredients in a blender or food processor and mixing until well combined. Set aside.
- Divide flour, beaten eggs and crushed kettle chips into three separate bowls.
- Sprinkle tomato slices with salt and pepper, then dredge them through flour, beaten eggs and crushed chips, in that order. Repeat with all tomato slices.
- Work in batches to fry tomato slices in hot oil until the crust is golden brown and crunchy, or about 2 minutes per side.
- Let drain on a wire rack or paper towel for a few minutes, then serve with spicy tartar sauce.