Pair this easy homemade bread recipe with tomato butter
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
Change up an old favorite by pairing this easy homemade bread recipe with a simple tomato butter.
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/14 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
For tomato butter:
- 2 cups broiled cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- Combine warm water, yeast and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer, stirring gently with a spoon.
- Let the mixture rest for about 5 minutes while the yeast proofs, or until the mixture looks foamy.
- Add kosher salt. With a dough hook attached to the mixer, mix on low speed and gradually add flour. Keep mixing until all flour is incorporated and dough beings to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and lightly flour all sides of the dough to keep it from sticking, flipping it over to really make sure you cover each side.
- Cover bowl of dough with a towel and let it rise for about 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Once dough has risen, lightly flour a large cutting board. Flip the dough onto the board and sprinkle more flour across the top. Being shaping into a loaf. (Wet your hands with water if the dough keeps sticking and make sure not to flatten the dough—any bubbles make for a nice, airy loaf.)
- Preheat the oven to 460° F and place an empty dutch oven with the lid on while you do so.
- Once ready, place shaped loaf into the pre-heated dutch oven with the seam-side up. Put on the lid and bake in the oven uncovered for 30 minutes.
- At the 30-minute mark, remove the lid and continue cooking bread for 10-20 minutes or until the crust is deeply browned.
- Once done, remove from oven and use a long spatula to lift the bread out and onto a cooking rack. Let cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting into it.
- For the tomato butter: Mix tomatoes, thyme, salt and pepper in a food processor until well combined. Add butter and mix until thickened.
- Serve bread with tomato butter and enjoy!