This chai fig cake tastes as good as it looks
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
This chai fig cake, decorated with vanilla buttercream frosting, tastes every bit as good as it looks.
- 2 cups whole milk, at room temperature
- ¼ cup chai tea leaves
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cardamom
- 2 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup virgin olive oil,
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the vanilla buttercream frosting:
- 3 sticks of butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- On the stove, gently heat up the milk and the chai tea leaves together, and reduce by half. Strain, and chill to room temperature.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer set on high, beat the sugar and eggs until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- With the mixer still running, slowly drizzle in the oil and beat until combined or about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add the chai steeped milk and vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, cardamom, clove, allspice, black pepper and cinnamon, beating until just combined. Transfer the batter evenly between the two pans, tapping it against the counter to smooth it out.
- Transfer to the oven and bake 20-25 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a rack to cool.
- For the vanilla buttercream frosting: Add butter to a mixer and whip on high until butter begins to soften and lighten in color. Next, lower the mixer speed to low and add vanilla extract. Then, slowly add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until frosting is light and airy.
- Once cake has cooled thoroughly, ice the cake with the whipped buttercream frosting.
- Top with sliced figs and drizzle with honey. Sprinkle crushed pistachios on top and serve.