Try this easy recipe for coconut lime fried shrimp with mango salsa
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
Dunk these fried coconut lime shrimp into this refreshing pineapple salsa. They go great with margaritas—just saying!
For the shrimp:
- 1 1/2 pounds raw jumbo shrimp, deveined with tails on
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 large egg whites
- Vegetable oil (for deep frying)
For the salsa:
- 1 1/2 cup chilli sauce
- 1 1/2 cup small-diced pineapple
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Use a small sharp knife to butterfly your shrimp. Start but cutting at the top of the inward curve, just below the tail. Cut each more than halfway through toward the outward curve (as if you were going to cut it in half, but don't cut all the way through). Open each shrimp and gently press to flatten.
- Mix cornstarch, salt and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- Pour coconut into a separate bowl.
- Beat egg whites in a third bowl until frothed.
- Dip one shrimp in cornstarch mixture and shake off the excess. Net, dip shrimp into egg whites, then press shrimp into the coconut on both sides to completely cover. Set shrimp aside on a baking sheet or large dish. Repeat with the remaining shrimp.
- Pour vegetable oil into a large pot so the oil is about 2 inches deep. Heat oil to 350° F.
- Once oil is ready, deep fry shrimp in batches for about 1 minute or until cooked through.
- Transfer shrimp to paper towels to drain. Repeat until all the shrimp is cooked.
- For the salsa: Mix chili sauce, pineapple, jalapeño, lime juice and cilantro in a bowl until well combined.