Get the simple recipe for this creamy grilled eggplant cannelloni
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
A healthy alternative to your typical BBQ favorites, our grilled eggplant cannelloni is a delicious addition to your summer diet.
- 2 cups cashews, soaked for minimum 4 hours
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup basil, plus more for garnish
- 3/4 cup spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggplants
- 1 jar tomato sauce
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Drain the soaked cashews and place them in a blender or food processor with garlic, lemon juice, milk and Parmesan. Blend until the cashews have broken down into a creamy consistency.
- Add in the spinach and basil and continue to blend until completely smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside. (Pro tip: This can be made up to one day in advance.)
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise into 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick slices. Lightly salt each side and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes to remove excess moisture. After 15 minutes, wipe the eggplant with paper towels to remove the salt and any excess water.
- Brush eggplant with oil and grill for 2-3 minutes per side. Once cooked, remove and set aside to cool for a bit.
- Heat sauce in a medium saucepan. Then, pour about half of the sauce into the bottom of a baking dish.
- Place about 2-3 spoonfuls of the spinach and basil mixture onto the end of each slice of eggplant and roll tightly, placing them seam side down on top of the sauce in the baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Once done, serve straight from the dish and garnish with more chopped basil if desired.
- Serve straight from the oven and garnish with remaining sauce and fresh basil.