There's no better way to eat hummus that on these crunchy roasted chickpea pitas
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes
These crunchy roasted chickpea pitas are a great addition to your hummus plate.
- 2 15.5-ounce cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup tahini
- juice of 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
For crispy chickpeas:
- 2 15.5-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and patted dry
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
For tomato topping:
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon shallots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
For the pita + garnish:
- pita bread, warmed
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- fresh basil and dill for topping
- olive oil, for drizzling
- To make hummus: Combine 2 cans chickpeas, baking soda, garlic cloves and water in a pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then let it simmer for five minutes. Drain, but reserve cooking water and set aside.
- Place cooked chickpeas and garlic in a food processor with tahini and mix. Slowly add one ladle of reserved cooking water. Once combined, add juice of one lemon, a pinch of salt and mix until well-combined. Set aside.
- To make crispy chickpeas: Preheat oven to 425° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add 2 cans of drained chickpeas to the parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and brown sugar. Lightly toss to coat. Put in oven for 30-40 minutes, or until crispy.
- To make tomato topping: Add cherry tomatoes to a medium-sized bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Add shallots and sherry vinegar and mix until well coated.
- To make pita: Spread hummus over pita and drizzle with more olive oil. Top with crispy chickpeas, tomatoes, feta, basil and dill. Enjoy!