These cheesy chicken enchiladas should be a weeknight dinner staple
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
These cheesy chicken enchiladas are a great option for a quick and no-fuss dinner.
Servings: 8 enchiladas
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups enchilada sauce
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped for garnish
- chopped onion for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Preheat skillet over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons of oil. Pat chicken breasts dry with a paper towel and lightly season with salt and pepper on both sides. Place in skillet and sear.
- Cook chicken until lightly brown on both sides, then add garlic. Stir garlic in oil and cook for 1 min. Don't let it burn!
- Next, pour enchilada sauce into the skillet. Once it's boiling, turn heat down and simmer. Cook for 10 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked through.
- Remove chicken from the skillet the let it cool slightly.
- Using two forks, shred chicken into pieces.
- In a 9"x13" baking dish, pour just enough enchilada sauce in to coat the bottom with a thin layer. Set aside.
- Warm the flour tortillas in the microwave wrapped in a damp paper towel for 20-30 seconds.
- Spoon shredded chicken and 1 cup of cheese evenly between the eight tortillas. Roll the tortillas and place them in the baking dish, seam-side down in the sauce.
- Brush the remaining olive oil across the tops of the rolled enchiladas.
- Drizzle more enchilada sauce over the tops of the enchiladas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Place dish in the oven and bake uncovered for 15 minutes or until tortillas are slightly golden.
- When they're done, let them sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with more enchilada sauce, cilantro and onions and serve.