Serve your guests these rainbow no-bake mini cheesecakes this Easter
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
Looking for a simple, delicious and crowd-pleasing Easter desert? Try these colorful no-bake mini cheesecakes.
Serving size: 6 no-bake mini cheesecakes
- 6 ounces shortbread cookies
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 packets unflavored gelatin (1/4 oz, or 2.5 tsp)
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 pound full-fat cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (at room temperature)
- Gel food coloring (will use to make purple, blue, yellow and pink)
- Whipped cream, candy eggs and sprinkles (for topping)
- Put the shortbread cookies in a food processor and pulse.
- Add butter to cookies and pulse until combined.
- Spoon the cookie crumbs into a muffin pan (use a pan for six muffins). Press firmly into the pan to create your cheesecake crust. Pro tip: Use a measuring cup to press crust down evenly.
- Combine cold water and non-flavored gelatin in a small bowl and whisk together. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes to firm up. Once it's firm, microwave it for 10-15 seconds to turn it back to a liquid.
- To make cheeesecake, add cream cheese to a mixing bowl and using a mixer, beat until smooth.
- Add sugar, salt, lemon juice and vanilla extract to cream cheese and mix completely.
- While mixer is running on low speed, gradually pour the heavy cream into the bowl and mix until combined.
- Repeat this step but with the warm gelatin (make sure it's still very much melted). Mix until smooth. Scrap the bowl with a spatula to make sure everything is well-combined.
- Divide cheesecake evenly into four bowls and stir a different color food coloring into each one.
- Spoon or use a frosting pipe to place your first color into the muffin tins on top of your cookie crust and smooth. Repeat with the three other colors, adding one on top of the other.
- Place in the freezer for a minimum of 2 hours to firm. Once solid to the touch, take them out of the pan.
- Decorate the tops with whipped cream, sprinkles and candy eggs.
- Serve chilled.
For all the best new Easter candy in 2019, see the gallery below!