Try these 3 unique twists on chicken wings for game day
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
Calling on all you sports fans out there! Chow down on these crispy baked chicken wings ranging in flavors from dry rubbed to sticky Asian. Check out all three recipes in this episode of Best Bites!
Epic Dry Rub Baked Chicken Wings
- 1/2 Tbsp ancho chile pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 3/4 Tbsp light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (less if you're worried about the heat level)
- 1/2 tsp dried mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 4 lbs chicken wings, thawed completely if using a frozen bag
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
For creamy gorgonzola dipping sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3-6 Tbsp buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 -3 oz crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- pinch kosher salt
Make dry rub and chicken wings:
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Line a large baking sheet with 2 sheets of aluminum foil (or 1 heavy duty sheet).
- Top that with an oven safe cooling rack and spray it with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine all dry rub ingredients in a small mixing bowl, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add chicken wings and vegetable oil. Use a rubber spatula to toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle in the dry rub mixture and distribute it all of the chicken wings, coating evenly.
- Add chicken wings to prepared baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.
Make creamy gorgonzola dipping sauce:
- To your food processor or blender, add mayo, buttermilk, sour cream, 1.5 oz of the gorgonzola cheese, lemon juice, pepper and salt. Process until smooth.
- Stir in remaining gorgonzola cheese. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Sticky and Crispy Asian Chicken Wings
- 1.5 kg chicken wings
- 2 level tbsp aluminium-free baking powder (It has to be baking powder, NOT baking soda) - see further notes on baking powder below
- ¾ tsp salt (make sure it's regular table salt)
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped spring onions/scallions
For sticky Asian sauce:
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 tsp lemon grass paste
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 5 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- Pinch of pepper
- Preheat the oven to 250 °F and place a rack on a large baking tray.
- Cut each wing at the joint so you have a mini wing and a drumette. Dry the wings with paper towels, then place in a large bowl and add the baking powder, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Note: It's important to dry the wings first so they only get a light coating. Discard any remaining coating once tossed together.
- Place in a single layer on the rack, skin side up. It's fine for them to be touching. Place on the lower shelf of the oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, turn the oven up to 425 °F degrees, rotate the tray and place on a higher shelf (higher middle) in the oven for 45-50 minutes until the wings are golden and crispy. Take out of the oven to cool slightly.
- Place all of the sauce ingredients into a saucepan, stir and bring to the boil. Allow to bubble for a minute or two until the sauce reduces and thickens slightly (it will thicken more as it cools). Turn off the heat.
- Place the wings in a large bowl and very carefully pour over the sticky sauce (be careful, it will be VERY hot). Toss to combine, then serve topped with chopped spring onions.
Crispy Seasoned Chicken Wings
- 4.5 lbs wings
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the breading:
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Season the wings with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Lay out in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 °F for around 45 minutes.
- Prepare the breading.
- Remove the wings from the oven and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss the wings with 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Toss with tongs to coat with the Parmesan mixture.
- Return to oven on a sheet pan with rack.
- Bake for another 20-25 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese & additional granulated garlic.
For more chicken recipes, see below: