A mom is warning others after a toy released 13 magnets into her son
After a toy left a small boy hospitalized, his mother is taking to social media to spread the word about the potential danger.
Jennifer White, a mother of three from Wisconsin, had to rush her 4-year-old son, Beck, to the hospital early yesterday morning after he swallowed magnets from a toy set.
While the mom didn't identify the exact toy, the picture she posted appears to be from the magnetic building set, Magformers. These toys come with different shapes lined with small magnets that can be stuck together for stacking and teaching kids about STEM. Jennifer explained that Beck managed to break open the toy and swallow 13 of the magnets.
"I feel guilty ... and horrible posting this but I don’t want another child to go through this," she wrote in a Facebook post. "If you have little ones or chewers these are dangerous and we’re removing them from our home. Dogs could also break these open too."
She took her son to a hospital in Milwaukee where he underwent surgery and will stay for at least three to four days.
"They had to remove part of his colon, intestines and appendix," she wrote. "The magnets created holes and an infection in his intestines."
Since she published her post, Jennifer's warning has gone viral with over 69,000 shares on Facebook. It also received hundreds of comments from people hoping and praying that Beck makes a full recovery.
While Beck is still in the hospital, he is awake and seems to be recovering. Jennifer posted an update where she thanked everyone for their kind words and for spreading her message.
Here's hoping that Beck continues to recover and Jennifer's warning leads to other parents of young children being careful with these magnetic building sets.
RELATED: Best hospitals of the year