Best Bites: Beet, goat cheese and walnut tart
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
This rich and flavorful beet, goat cheese and walnut tart is sure to be the talk of table! Check out the recipe on this episode of Best Bites!
- 1 tart dough, shaped and blind baked (ingredients and recipe below)
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes and well chilled
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
For the tart:
- 2 to 3 small diced and roasted beets
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and caramelized
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine (or Sherry or Madeira — whatever you have on hand.)
- 1 recipe tart dough (above)
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup heavy cream or buttermilk
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- About 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
For the dough:
- In a mixing bowl of a food processor, combine the flour and the salt. Cut the butter into the flour by pulsing it 8 to 10 times, being careful not to overheat and overmix the butter.)
- Transfer to a bowl, add the ice water. Using just your fingertips and working quickly, combine the flour mixture and the water. Work just until the water is absorbed. The dough will be ragged but should hold together when you squeeze it. If it seems dry, sprinkle on a few more drops of water.
- Gather the dough up into a ball — it’s fine if the dough does not come together completely at this time. Wrap the dough well in plastic wrap, flatten it a bit, and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least a half hour before rolling.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Roll the dough into a large circle — large enough to overlap whatever sized tart pan you are using. Press the dough into the corners and into the sides of the tart pan. Trim off any excess dough. Fill the tart with dried beans or pie weights. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Remove beans from tart.
For the tart:
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Add the roasted beets and caramelized onions to the blind-baked tart shell.
- Whisk together the eggs and cream (or buttermilk), season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and carefully pour over the beets and onion, letting the mixture seep evenly into the beets. Dot the goat cheese all over the top of the tart. Put the tart on a baking sheet and bake it until just set for 35 - 40 minutes. Sprinkle the tart with the toasted walnuts and chopped parsley, and let it rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Other recipes we love below: