Best Bites: Gourmet 3-cheese grilled cheese
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie.
This gourmet grilled cheese stuffed with gruyere, herbs and sautéed onions is almost too good to be true! Check out the recipe on this episode of Best Bites!
- 8 slices good quality bread I used thick cut Artisan bread
- Mayonnaise for spreading
- 12 oz Gruyere cheese sliced thinly OR grated, at room temperature
- 6 oz White cheddar cheese sliced thinly OR grated, at room temperature
- 4 slices thin Muenster cheese at room temperature
- 2 yellow onions diced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme minced
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary minced, divided
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp butter divided
- Add 1 1/2 Tbsp butter to a skillet and heat over MED-LOW heat. Add diced onions, salt, pepper, fresh thyme and 1 tsp of fresh rosemary to the hot skillet and saute, stirring often, until onions are soft and starting to brown.
- Stir brown sugar into the onions and cook another minute.
- Transfer onions to a plate.
- Spread one side of two pieces of bread with a little bit of mayonnaise.
- To the same skillet, add remaining butter and rosemary, and heat over MED heat. Swirl to coat the bottom of the skillet with the melted butter.
- Add both pieces of bread, mayonnaise side down, and cook until bread is golden brown and crunchy, about 2-3 minutes.
- As soon as you add the bread to the skillet, add a bit of cheese to the top of each piece of bread. Once it starts to melt a little, sprinkle a couple tablespoons of the caramelized onions over the top of one of the pieces of bread.
- When the bread is good and golden brown, sandwich the pieces of bread together and cook on LOW until cheese is fully melted.
- Transfer to a plate, repeat with remaining slices of bread and ingredients.
- Slice and enjoy!
Other fall recipes we are loving: