Best Bites: Creamy sweet potato and pear soup
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
This sweet and creamy potato and pear soup is anything but bland! Check out the recipe on this episode of Best Bites!
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 pears (any variety), peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/16 (a pinch) teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar or honey
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (about half a lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Add olive oil to the bottom of a heavy bottomed soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots and cook until onions are soft and translucent, but other vegetables needn't be soft.
- Add the turmeric powder and garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds, stirring. Add in the broth, sweet potatoes, pears, and salt and stir well. Add in the sweetener. Continue cooking over medium low heat, allowing to simmer, for about 30 to 40 minutes until the vegetables have softened. Remove from the heat.
- Puree until smooth. Add more broth or lemon juice if a thinner consistency is desired. Add the nutmeg, stirring. Add the lemon juice and stir.
- Garnish with chopped parsley to serve, if desired. Enjoy!
Try these other fall recipes: