Best Bites: Wild rice harvest bowls with fig balsamic vinaigrette
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie.
These wild rice harvest bowls with fig balsamic vinaigrette are both a healthy and hearty option for the fall! Check out the recipe on this episode of Best Bites!
- 1 cup wild-brown rice blend
- 1-3/4 chicken broth
- 3 cups 1” butternut squash cubes (about 1 small squash)
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon each garlic powder, chili powder, cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 9 oz thinly shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1 large or 2 small apples, chopped
- 3 oz white cheddar cheese, cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds or pepitas
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
For the fig balsamic winaigrette:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fig jam
- Salt and pepper
- Add rice and chicken broth to a small saucepan then bring to a boil, place a lid on top, then turn heat down to a simmer and cook for 40-50 minutes or until rice is al dente. Set aside to cool slightly - can be done a day ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a half sheet panwith nonstick spray. Add butternut squash cubes, 1-1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder, chili powder, cinnamon, salt, and pepper then toss to evenly coat. Roast for 15-20 minutes, or until squash is tender, stirring halfway through. Set aside to cool slightly - can be done a day ahead of time.
- Meanwhile, spray another half sheet pan with nonstick spray. Add shredded Brussels sprouts, remaining 1-1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper then toss with your fingers to evenly coat. Add to oven after stirring the squash then roast together for 8-10 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are tender and golden brown.
- For the Fig Balsamic Vinaigrette: Combine ingredients in a bowl or jar with a tight fitting lid then whisk or shake to combine. Taste then add more salt, pepper, and/or fig jam if desired.
- In a large bowl combine cooked rice, butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, apples, cheese, almonds, and dried cranberries. Drizzle Fig Balsamic Vinaigrette on top then toss to coat and serve.
Gadgets to bring home: