Fire Roasted Pecan Pie with Brown Butter Almond Cake
Brown Butter Almond Cake Ingredients:
- 1 ¼ cup Almond flour
- 1 1/8 cup Cake flour
- 1 1/8 cup Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Brown butter (room temp)
- 4 egg whites
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla extract
Pecan Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 1 cup Sugar
- ¾ cup Dark corn syrup
- ¾ cup Light corn syrup
- 5 eggs
- ¼ cup Unsalted butter
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 ½ cup Pecans (rough chopped)
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp Bourbon
Crème Fraiche Crème Anglaise Ingredients:
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 ¼ cup Heavy cream
- 9 Egg yolks
- ¾ cup + 2 Tbsp – Sugar
- 2 Vanilla beans
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 cup Crème fraiche
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. To make the pecan pie filling, heat sugar, light and dark syrups, and vanilla to simmer. Remove from heat and add bourbon. Whisk the hot sugar mix into eggs while whisking. Add butter and salt.
3. To make the brown butter almond cake, mix all dry ingredients in a mixer with paddle attachment. Add in room temperature butter and continue to mix in slow speed. Then add egg whites and vanilla and mix until well incorporated.
4. Place cake batter in piping bag and pipe ½ inch thick in 1 8-inch pie dish or a 3” ramekin in diameter.
5. Place pecans on a sheet pan, and torch to char with TS4000 Bernzomatic torch. Then place pecans over brown butter cake batter in ramekins and pour sugar syrup to cover. Torch away air bubbles. Bake for 25-35 minutes.
OPTIONAL: Top off the dessert with a crème fraiche crème anglaise
1. To make the crème place milk, sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla beans into a stainless-steel pan and bring to a raging boil. While milk is heating place yolks, and salt in a container/bowl big enough to fit milk mix as well.
2. Have a hand blender on hand and ready, once milk mix comes to a raging boil, place handheld blender into the yolks mix and buzz milk mix into yolks. Strain using a chinois and add crème fraiche. Let cool before topping on pastry.