Best Bites: Turkey chili in a cornbread bowl
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
In the mood for something hearty? Try this turkey chili in a cornbread bowl!
For the chili:
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup canned red beans, drained and rinsed
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- Olive oil to brown the turkey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Shredded cheddar cheese to serve
- Sour cream to serve
For the cornbread bowl:
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a pot, drizzle olive oil, brown the ground turkey and stir in garlic, onions, peppers, spices, salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Add crushed tomatoes, beans, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well, cover, and cook on low heat for 1-2 hours.
- In a bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- Preheat oven to 375F. In a large bowl, whisk melted butter and sugar together. Then mix in the eggs and milk, until fully combined.
- Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, until well combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased baking dish, and bake for about 25-30 minutes. Test doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center. The cornbread is ready when toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to slightly cool.
- Use a small knife and spoon to cut out a well in the center of the cornbread.
- Fill the center of the cornbread bowl with chili, and then top with cheese and sour cream.
RELATED: Amazon's best-selling slow cookers