Best Bites: Mini chicken pot pies
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
These mini chicken pot pies are the perfect comfort foods for the fall. Check out the recipe on Best Bites!
- 3/4 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Salt & pepper
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large potato, diced and blanched
- 1 large carrot, diced and blanched
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 5 button mushrooms, halved and sliced
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and roughly chopped
- Basic pie crust, rolled to 1/8-inch thick
- 1 beaten egg
- Melt the butter in a frying pan set to medium heat. Add the onions and celery and cook for 2 minutes. Add the salt, pepper and flour and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring it to a boil. Reduce to low heat and simmer until the stew thickens, 8-10 minutes. Add the milk and cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the potatoes, carrot, peas, corn, mushrooms and chicken. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired. Pour the stew into 8 ramekins.
- Cut the pie crust into 8 circles that are slightly bigger than the rim of the ramekins.
- Place the crust on top of the ramekins and tuck the edges of the crust into the edges of the ramekins with a fork. Cut open an X in the center of each pot pie with a sharp knife, then brush with the beaten egg. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake at 400F for 35-40 minutes until the crust is brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.