Best Bites Summer Entertaining: Slow cooker Hawaiian chicken sliders
Try these juicy Hawaiian chicken sliders at your next barbecue and your guests will keep coming back for seconds and thirds! Check out the recipe on this episode of Best Bites.
- 3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 c. flour
- 2 c. pineapple juice
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 3/4 c. ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- Buns and coleslaw for serving
- Combine brown sugar, ketchup, pineapple juice, soy sauce, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and spices in a large measuring cup or mixing bowl. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated, then set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onion and sauté until onion begins to brown.
- Stir in 1/4 c. flour.
- Pour pineapple juice mixture into skillet and boil, stirring, 5-10 minutes or until sauce is thick.
- Place chicken in slow cooker and cover with sauce.
- Cook on low heat 8 hours.
- *If the sauce is not as thick as you'd like it to be, you can prop open the lid and let some additional liquid evaporate before shredding and serving.
- *Note: sauce will thicken further as it cools.
- Once the chicken is cooked, take it out of the slow cooker and shred it using two forks. Add some cooking liquid to the shredded meat to make it moist.
- Serve on a bun with some coleslaw