Cocktail of the Week: Vodka Café de Olla
You may not be too familiar with the cocktail, but it's a drink that should most definitely be on your next bar order. Vodka Café de Olla is a traditional Mexican drink that mixes coffee, sweet piloncillo and cinnamon in one delicious cocktail. Learn how to make the classic drink right in your own kitchen!
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 whole clove
- 1/3 piece star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 ounces piloncillo or ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground coffee
- 8 ounces café de olla (recipe above)
- Ice cubes
- 2 ounces vodka
- 3 ounces Amarula cream liqueur, divided
- In a pot over medium-high heat, combine water, cinnamon stick, clove, star anise piece and piloncillo. Stir until piloncillo dissolves (approximately 7 minutes).
- Add ground coffee, stir and heat for 5 minutes; do not boil.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Strain café de olla into cocktail shaker filled with ice cubes. Add vodka and shake vigorously until cocktail shaker is frosted.
- Strain mixture equally into two glasses.
- Place the back of a spoon against the inside of the glass so that the spoon's tip is directly above the café de olla and vodka mixture's surface. Slowly pour the Amarula in each glass over the back of the spoon for a layered effect.