Cocktail of the Week: Red, white and blue Jello shots
Red, white and boozy!
Get the party started this Fourth of July with these patriotic jello shots. Made with fresh strawberries and a few splashes of vodka, this recipe makes 50 shots -- so it's enough to keep the holiday going all day long. See the full recipe below!
- 50 extra-large strawberries (about 2 large cartons)
- 1 package (3 oz) Jell-O™ Berry Blue gelatin
- 1 cup water
- 2 envelopes (1.4 oz) unflavored powdered gelatin (about 2.5 teaspoons)
- ¾ cup cream
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 cup flavored (or plain) vodka, divided
- Use a paring knife or small spoon to hollow out the strawberries as much as possible, being careful not to break the skin. Place strawberries, tip side down, onto empty ice cube tray.
- Place 1 cup water in a medium saucepan. Add the blue gelatin and mix to combine the gelatin. Sprinkle 1 envelope of unflavored powdered gelatin on top, let sit for 60 seconds. Mix to combine and then turn on heat to medium-high. Bring to a simmer and then remove from heat.
- Pour half of the berry blue gelatin (1/2 cup) into a 1/2 cup of the vodka. Set aside. Discard remaining blue gelatin mix or reuse.
- Place ¾ cup cream into a medium saucepan on low heat. Sprinkle 1 envelope of unflavored gelatin on top. Mix to combine and then turn on medium-high heat. Add 1/2-cup of sugar. Bring to a simmer and make sure that the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Pour the white gelatin mixture into the remaining 1/2 cup of the vodka. Set aside at room temperature. Do not place somewhere cold, stir it every 10 minutes or so while you are on the next step.
- Using a spoon, carefully pour the blue gelatin into the strawberries. Fill only halfway. Refrigerate for about 45-60 minutes or until the gelatin is semi-set (firm but still sticky).
- Fill the rest of the hollowed strawberry with the white gelatin mixture. Refrigerate for at 3-4 hours.
- When fully set, slowly slice each strawberry in half from the top down. Place them on mini sticks or skewers. Keep refrigerated until serving.