Best Bites: Japanese souffle pancakes
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
Try this decadent twist on an old American classic! In this week's episode of Best Bites, we've got the scoop on how to make ultra fluffy Japanese Souffle Pancakes!
- 2.5 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 0.5 tbsp full fat mayonnaise
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 tbsp cake flour
- 2 chilled egg whites
- 3 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- Whipped cream
- In a bowl, combine milk, baking powder, vanilla, mayonnaise and egg yolks. Gently add in cake flour using a sifter. Mix with a whisk until the batter is smooth and pale yellow in color.
- In a separate bowl, add the chilled egg whites and sugar. Using an electric mixture, whip on the highest speed your mixer allows, until stiff peaks form. This should take 2-3 minutes.
- Using a spatula, add one third of the meringue to the bowl with the egg yolk batter. Gently fold the meringue into the batter until there are no more white streaks. Add another one third of the merengue, and gently fold into the batter. Repeat once more.
- Add a ring mold to a large pan and grease the inside of the mold with butter or oil. Fill ⅔ of the mold with batter.
- Bring your skillet to low heat and add ½ a tablespoon of water into the pan.
- Cover the pan with your lid and cook the batter for 3-4 minutes. Flip the mold with the pancake, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Cook as many pancakes as desired for your stack!
- Once you stack the pancakes, serve with whipped cream, fresh fruit and sprinkles!