Best Bites: Southwest taco egg rolls
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
On this week's episode of Best Bites chow down on these delicious southwest taco egg rolls!
Cilantro Lime Ranch Dip
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp dry ranch seasoning
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chopped chicken breast
- ½ diced red onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 finely chopped red pepper
- 1 seeded & minced jalapeno
- 1 cup drained black beans
- 1 cup drained corn
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 10 oz canned diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 mashed avocados
- Egg roll wrapper
- Whisk together all of the Cilantro Lime Ranch Dip ingredients in a medium bowl. Refrigerate.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add chicken and onions and cook until chicken is no longer pink on the outside. Add garlic, bell pepper and jalapeno and sauté 1 minute. Stir in black beans, corn, rice, tomatoes and all seasonings and cook for 1-2 minutes or until warmed through and chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and add cheese. Stir until melted. Add avocados and stir to combine.
- Line your counter with parchment paper to place rolled egg rolls if frying or line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil if baking and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Position an egg roll wrapper with one point towards you. Place 1/4 cup filling centered in the bottom third of the wrapper. Fold bottom corner over filling then continue to roll up, firmly folding sides toward center over filling as you roll. Moisten top corner with water and press firmly to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. (Refer to your egg roll wrapper for a diagram).
- TO FRY: Heat oil in a deep stock pot/Dutch oven or deep-fat fryer to 350 degrees F or medium high heat. Fry egg rolls in batches until golden brown, turning egg rolls a few times while frying. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with Cilantro Lime Ranch Dip.
- TO BAKE (not as crispy): Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line egg rolls, seam side down, on baking sheet, so that they are not touching. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until egg rolls are golden, flipping 2-3 times while baking, Broil a minute or so on each side for extra crispiness. Serve warm with Cilantro Lime Ranch Dip.
- TO FREEZE: Prepare and cook Egg Rolls according to directions. Let cool COMPLETELY (you can place them on a baking sheet in the freezer to speed up the process), then wrap Egg Rolls individually in foil, then place multiple egg rolls in a freezer size plastic bag. When ready to serve,, either fry as before straight out of the freezer (don't defrost)), adding about 1 1/2 minutes to freezing time OR Bake as before, adding about 5 minutes to baking time.(no need to defrost first) .