Best Bites: Mini pink ombre cakes
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
Food is the way to every person’s heart! Show some love this Valentine’s Day with these tiny yet flavor-packed pink ombre cakes. There will certainly be a lot of love in the air if you share this dessert with your special someone.
- 2 boxes vanilla cake mix
- Red food colouring
- Dark chocolate
- 2 ⅔ cups water
- ⅔ cup
- vegetable oil
- 6 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease three 9-inch cake pans and coat with flour.
- Prepare cake mix according to package instructions.
- Evenly divide cake batter into three separate bowls.
- Add varying amounts of food coloring to each bowl to create light, medium, and dark pink batter aka “The Ombre Effect.”
- Transfer batter to cake pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove cake pans from oven.
- Let cool slightly, then remove cake layers from pans and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While cake is cooling, shave the chocolate into a small bowl.
- Trim the top layer of each cake so that a smooth, even surface is created.
- Cut the cake layers into 12 small circles using a 2.5 inch cutter.
- Here you will cut 4 circles out of each layer.
- Cover each layer with frosting. Stack the layers, going from darkest to lightest.