Best Bites: Mardi Gras beignets
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
We’re celebrating Mardi Gras with these colorfully festive beignets all the way from New Orleans! Check out the recipe on this week’s episode of Best Bites.
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 7 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup shortening
- Nonstick spray
- Oil, for deep-frying
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Green, purple, yellow food color
- In a large bowl, combine water, sugar and dry yeast. Allow mixture to rest for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl beat 2 eggs.
- Pour in evaporated milk and salt.
- In the large bowl, add 3 cups bread flour and the shortening. Stir.
- Add in the bowl with the egg-milk mixture. Combine well.
- Add remaining 4 cups of flour and mix.
- Place dough onto a smooth surface and knead mixture until smooth.
- Grease a large bowl with nonstick spray and place in dough mixture. Allow dough to rise for 2 hours.
- Preheat a pot with vegetable oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a flat and floured surface, roll out dough to ¼ inch thickness. Cut dough into 3 inch squares.
- Deep fry the squares until golden on both sides, making sure to flip constantly.
- Drain the squares for a few seconds.
- While squares are draining, mix the three food colouring packets with confectioners sugar to create three different types of coloured sugar.
- Sprinkle coloured powdered sugar over beignets while still hot. Enjoy!