Dog suffers horrific burns, nearly dies after being colored purple with hair dye
A dog was left severely burned and close to death after she was colored purple with hair dye, according to an animal welfare service in Florida.
Officials with Pinellas County Animals Services didn't expect the 5-pound Maltese mix, lovingly named Violet, to make it through the night after she was brought to them limp and with her eyes swollen shut. They are now using her story as a cautionary tale.
They posted Violet's story on their Facebook account and said they only realized the true depth of damage the hair coloring caused after they saved off her fur. "We began the arduous process of shaving off her hair to really measure the damage – to our horror her skin began to slough off. Good thing Violet was peacefully anesthetized."
After three months of everything from pain medication and antibiotics, to bandage changes and honey treatments, the "ball of attitude" made a miraculous recovery.
"She began to walk the halls, visiting each office requesting treats or hugs or gentle pats, always in the lead with our veterinarian in tow. It was clear – Violet was on the mend and she wanted everyone to know it."
While Violet's story had a happy ending, many stories like hers don't. PCAS wants her story to be a reminder to only use products specifically meant for pets when grooming them.
The pup who "owns a room and she knows it" is now living her best life with her new dad.