Simple roasted barbecue tofu
Our editorial team is dedicated to finding and telling you more about the products and deals we love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links below, we may receive a commission.
Any tofu fans here? For those of you new to tofu, know that it's a pretty bland food, which makes it great for taking on a range of flavors. It basically soaks in whatever you marinate it in. Depending on how you prepare it, tofu can have a meat like texture that makes it perfect for barbecuing. It is a great source of protein and provides a healthy dose of calcium and manganese.
Add your favorite vegetables and you've got yourself a pretty amazing plant-based meal. A plant-based diet, as you may well know by now, is high in fiber, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals. Research has shown that it reduces risk of chronic disease like diabetes, heart disease, and some forms of cancer. It can also help to regulate your blood sugar and energy levels throughout the day.
For this recipe, we'll be making our own BBQ sauce. BBQ sauce is one of those sneaky sources of added sugar. We decided to keep things super simple, and whipped up a 4-ingredient sauce. Ketchup is used as a base. We went with the organic Trader Joe's one, which is not as processed as the typical ketchup, and has way less sugar.
For our salad bowl, we added roasted carrots & beets, quinoa, tomatoes, scallions, sesame seeds, & broccoli. What other healthy BBQ staples will you be bringing to that summer hangout? Let us know what you think of our Simple Roasted Barbecue Tofu in the comments below!
SIMPLE ROASTED BARBEQUE TOFU
1 block of firm tofu
1/3 cup ketchup (Trader Joe's has a great minimally processed option)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Start by pressing the tofu. You can do this by lining a plate with paper towels, and putting your tofu on the paper towels Then add another layer of paper towels on top of the tofu, and press with something heavy (ie: canned beans, tomato sauce jars, etc)
- Let it press for at least 1 hour
- Now let's make our simple BBQ sauce. Add the rest of the ingredients to a small sauce pan, and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Set aside
- Once the tofu is pressed, slice it into 5-6 large rectangles
- Add the tofu slices to a bowl, and pour the barbecue sauce in
- Gently coat each tofu slice with a spoon, and let this marinate for at least an hour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, and add each tofu slice (do not discard the extra barbecue sauce!)
- Bake for 20 minutes. flip over, and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the tofu edges are browned
- Brush the remaining barbecue sauce onto the tofu and serve with on a salad bowl, with your favorite grains, or in a sandwich!
NOTES: For our salad bowl, we added roasted carrots & beets, quinoa, tomatoes, scallions, sesame seeds, & broccoli
RELATED: Summer grilling essentials