Healthy freezer-friendly breakfast burritos
I'm all about breakfast lately, but it's often difficult to find the time to be able to make myself something that's tasty and wholesome. I've tried to make freezer-friendly breakfast burritos in the past, but they never worked out quite the way that I wanted. Live and learn I guess, so I decided to give them another go with a few changes.
The first lesson that I learned was that freezer-friendly breakfast burritos must be individually wrapped to keep them from sticking together. Plus reheating them can be a bit of a touch-and-go situation. I've found it best to use a loosened paper towel to wrap them up in for a quick reheat in the microwave.
These particular burritos are better-for-you with a multi-grain tortilla, swapping in some egg whites, and loading it all up with plenty of veggies and reduced fat cheese. Of course, just because these are freezer-friendly doesn't mean that you can't enjoy them fresh. The idea here with the size of the recipe though, is to be able to make them ahead to have on hand to enjoy when and how you want.
As you can see, these are pretty full and satisfying sized burritos too. They are definitely more more hefty than what you might get from a fast-food joint, and way more healthy than that too. We're talking whole grains and plenty of protein to boot!
These burritos are really simple to make and can last you all week long if you prepare them ahead of time, giving you a great grab-and-go breakfast option. It's so much easier to eat better when you've already got the food cooked and prepared. No excuses then!
I love to serve mine with some salsa, jalapeño slices and some fresh fruit.
Healthy Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Burritos
Servings: 6 • Size: 1 Burrito • Calories: 269.1 • Fat: 11.3 g • Saturated Fat: 4.2 • Carb: 25.7 g • Fiber: 5.4 g • Protein: 16.1 g • Sugar: 3.4 g • Sodium: 688.7 mg
6 Large Egg Whites
3 Whole Large Eggs
1/4 C. Fat Free Milk
1/4 Red Bell Pepper, Chopped
1/4 Green Bell Pepper, Chopped
1/2 C. Chopped White Onion
6 Slices Center Cut Reduced Sodium Bacon, Cooked & Crumbled
6 Large Multi-Grain Burrito Tortillas
1/3 C. Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1. Whisk together the egg whites, whole eggs, milk, bell peppers, onion and bacon.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high eat and lightly coat with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and cook until he eggs are done and the veggies are starting to become tender.
4. Warm the tortillas in the microwave for a few seconds to get them nice and soft.
5. Lay each tortilla out and fill with about 1/2 C. of the cooked eggs and veggies.
6. Top the egg mixture with 1 Tbsp. of reduced fat cheese and roll it all up with the ends being tucked in to form your burrito.
1. Wrap each burrito tightly in cling wrap once cooled down and place them into a freezer-friendly ziplock bag.
2. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
3. When ready to enjoy, remove a burrito from the freezer and from cling wrap. Wrap loosely in a paper towel and place into the microwave to cook for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes (depending on the watts of the microwave.)
RELATED: Delicious egg recipes