6 ways to make the most out of your morning
It's here: the dreaded morning. While I was tempted to hit the snooze button five times and put off the inevitable descent back into reality this morning, I've found that I have my most productive days when I wake up on time and get through my routine before starting the work day. This is especially important on Mondays – if I don't start off the week on the right foot, I spend the next five days feeling like I'm already behind. Here are the things I try to do every day before 8AM in order to have my best morning ever.
- Drink a glass of lemon water. The first thing I do every morning is drink a large glass of water with lemon. Aside from jump-starting my hydration, he health benefits of this adopting this simple habit are immense: Lemons are packed with nutrients, including vitamin C, B-complex vitamins, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and fiber. Vitamin C is especially important on stressful days, as your body's levels of vitamin C are one of the first things to plummet when you're stressed. Lemons also encourage better digestion, and help flush out the toxins in your body. As an added benefit, lemon water freshens your breath, helps keep your skin clear and blemish free, helps you lose weight, reduces inflammation, and gives you an energy boost.
- Get moving. Whether it's going for a run, hitting an early yoga class, or just taking a quick walk with my pup, I always feel better when I get some steps in before breakfast.
- Eat a healthy breakfast. Breakfast is the one meal that I never skip. I don't like to head into the workday on an empty stomach (hello, hangry Emily). I start every morning with unsweetened Irish oatmeal mixed with almond butter, cinnamon, and berries.
- Make a to do list. I'm a list person – if I don't write it down, it's not getting done. I like to start my day by writing down everything I want to accomplish for the day – including to dos around the house, goals for the blog, and workout/wellness items.
- Do one thing around the house. It takes less than five minutes to start the laundry, wipe down the counters, or unload the dishwasher from the night before. Getting one thing crossed off of my to do list before I even start working means that there's one less thing that I have to worry about at the end of the day.
RELATED: Coffee and tea makers to improve your mornings