Stir-fry chicken and vegetables stuffed sweet potatoes
Yeah, say the title of this recipe 5 times fast :-)! This Stir-Fry Chicken and Vegetables Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Recipe is a mouthful to say and eat but one thing is for sure, it's loaded with flavor! As you may have read in my Kale Salad with Apples and Roasted Acorn Squash Recipe, I'm looking to incorporate more vegetables into my daily diet, so that's why I came up with this incredibly easy to make Stir-Fry Chicken and Vegetables Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Recipe.
It's loaded with flavor, literally takes under an hour to make and the whole family will eat it! Not that my family is a group of picky eaters, but dang is hard to get a 4-year old to eat everything we eat. I used to sit back and laugh watching parents just feed their kids mac n cheese and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but now I get it. It's hard to get them to eat anything so as long as they'll eat something then so be it. I do feel fortunate though that my daughter loves vegetables so AMEN for that :-).
While the title of this says stuffed sweet potatoes I also baked regular potatoes as well just in case my daughter didn't like them. Remember with kids it's always better to be safe than sorry so I've learned to provide a few options without turning into Burger King, "Your way Right away!" In addition to my daughter eating some plain healthy baked regular and sweet potatoes I also sneak some green veggies into this Stir-Fry Chicken with some broccoli and sugar snaps. My daughter has actually always like broccoli believe it or not and this is just one more way to get her to eat more. YAY! Sometimes if you mask the flavor of something kids will take a stab at it and often like it not realize what they're eating. I always had this dream of feeding my daughter salmon mixed with rice and broccoli with a little ranch mixed into help enjoy all the flavor while it's going down the hatch. Well come to find out my daughter doesn't like ranch dressing. I mean what kinda kid doesn't like ranch??? Or ketchup for that matter? Seriously have no clue where she got her palette from but hopefully she'll start appreciating some salty vinegary goodness, even though it's not the best for you.
So now to make this Stir-Fry Chicken and Vegetables Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Recipe. First of course bake your potatoes in the oven or however you'd like, even if that's a microwave. I like to go coated in olive oil and kosher salt, but again I'm trying to change up my diet so raw in the oven on 375 for 45 to 60 minutes or until tender in the center. For the chicken it's imperative to slice it super thin. This is a great way to practice those knife skills, so when I mean super thin then think the local Asian restaurant that serves up their really thin sliced chicken dishes. For some reason it also tastes better... Or maybe that's just me? Could be both! Once they are sliced you then want to season with salt and pepper and dredge them completely in corn starch. No we aren't using flour, we want a nice fluffy crusty batter on it and the best way to do that is using cornstarch. Also not to mention the cornstarch will help thicken up our soy-chicken stock liquid once we pour it in. That's right, two birds – one stone!
Once the chicken is coated you then want to sauté it up in some sesame oil. You could definitely use regular canola or even coconut oil here, totally your preference. Get'em nice and browned and cooked through, remove the chicken from the pan and add in the veggies. Stir-frying is the art of constantly stirring while sautéing over really high heat so that is essentially what you want to do here. May take 2 minutes, may take 4, the point is to get the veggies a little but charred but still crispy. Set the vegetables to the side and add in all the goodness to make the sauce and cook it over medium heat until it gets super thick. From there dump all of the cooked ingredients back in and toss it around for a delicious sweet and savory Stir-Fry Chicken and Vegetables Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Recipe.
- 2 baked sweet potatoes
- 2 baked potatoes
- 2 thinly sliced chicken breasts
- 1 cup of corn starch
- ¼ cup of sesame oil
- 1 julienne red bell pepper
- 1 julienne yellow bell pepper
- 1 bunch of sliced green onions
- 2 cups of trimmed broccoli florettes
- 2 cups of sugar snaps
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- ¾ cup of light brown sugar
- 1 cup of soy sauce
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- Sesame seeds, sliced green onions and fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Add the chicken to a bowl along with the cornstarch and mix until it is coated on all sides.
- Next add ½ of the sesame oil to a large sauté pan or wok over high heat and cook the chicken until it is browned and cooked through and remove it and set it aside.
- In that same pan while on high heat add in the peppers, onions, broccoli and sugar snaps and stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes and remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining sesame oil, garlic, brown sugar, soy sauce and chicken stock to the wok and cook over medium to medium-high heat until it becomes very thick, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once the sauce is thick add the cooked chicken, stir-fried vegetables and noodles and toss to coat.
- Slice the potatoes and stuff up with the stir-fry chicken mixture and garnish with sesame seeds, sliced green onions and cilantro leaves.
The post Stir-Fry Chicken and Vegetables Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Recipe appeared first on Billy Parisi.
Related: You're going to love these recipes