Hot chocolate magic cake is everything that's good about winter
Oops, we did it again. A few months ago, we fell in love with the Internet sensation known as magic cake and had to create our own fall adaptation. But now it's the cold, frigid winter, and we need something magical to warm our spirits. This hot chocolate version has just a hint of espresso powder to add a slightly more rounded and sophisticated flavor profile. Don't fret though, it's not all grown up. Your inner child will appreciate the topping of whipped cream, garnish of mini marshmallows, drizzle of chocolate syrup and dusting of hot chocolate powder mix.
Hot Chocolate Magic Cake
Yield: One 9-inch square cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes, plus cooling time
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, plus cooling time
- 4 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1¼ cups confectioners' sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups room-temperature milk
- 1 cup whipped cream, for garnish
- Mini marshmallows, for garnish
- Chocolate syrup, for garnish
- Hot chocolate powder, for dusting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 320º and line a 9-inch-square cake pan with parchment paper. In the same bowl of the stand mixer, add the egg yolks and sugar, and cream until light and fluffy, 3 minutes. Add the butter, cocoa powder, espresso powder, salt and vanilla, and mix until everything is fully incorporated. Add the flour and mix just until the flour is mixed into the other ingredients. While the mixer is running on low, stream in the milk until it is all incorporated. Fold in the whipped egg whites and pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the cake no longer jiggles when shaken, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to fully cool.
- Garnish with whipped cream, mini marshmallows and chocolate syrup, then dust with hot chocolate powder and serve.