If you've ever spent an evening drinking your weight in *whiskey, then you've probably woken up the next morning feeling ... not so great. This, my friend, is a hangover.
But what is a hangover, anyway? Scientists still aren't sure why we get them or what exactly causes them. But there are a few factors that come into play.
See hangover cures:
Number one, alcohol is a diuretic. When we drink alcohol, it causes us to pee — a lot. That can cause dehydration, which in turn can cause headaches, dizziness and fatigue.
Number two, alcohol increases the production of stomach acid, irritating the lining of our stomachs. That might be why you spend the morning after a night out with your head in a wastebasket.
Number three, when we drink alcohol, we're essentially drinking low-grade poison. When our bodies process alcohol, they produce a toxic compound called acetaldehyde. Acetaldehyde is even more toxic than alcohol, and can cause a handful of hangover symptoms.
*Newsy does not advise drinking your weight in whiskey — or any alcohol, for that matter. Hospital visits are expensive and not very fun.