Peppermint chocolate silk pie
This week has been a nonstop flurry (hehe. snow puns.) of Christmas activity and I couldn't be happier about it. Christmas parties, present wrapping, Christmas play going, gingerbread house building, lots and lots of Christmas cookie eating. I was just saying today that I wish the Christmas season was about 2 months longer because how exactly am I supposed to watch all of the low-budget, b-list actor Christmas movies that Netflix has to offer in such a short amount of time? Life is rough, guys.
Not surprisingly, the past week has included a whole lot of baking. A Christmas party just isn't a Christmas party without a 50/50 food to dessert ratio. Really, I would be good with like 90% dessert, 10% real food. Or 100% peppermint chocolate silk pie.
I made this pie super last minute on Monday and instantly knew that I had to share it with all of you. It is everything I want in a holiday dessert. Almost no bake, very few ingredients and pepperminty as can be. The crust is a basic oreo crust, though if you wanted to use mint oreos I don't think anyone would be mad about it. The filling is full of super dark chocolate and peppermint and is the creamiest, richest, most delicious pie filling I can ever remember having. After it sets up, the whole things gets a giant, pillowy cloud of peppermint whipped cream and some crushed candy canes for good measure. If you bake one more thing this holiday season, let it be this pie.
I will be back to blogging after Christmas! In the meantime I hope you all have the most wonderful holiday weekend full of family, laughter and lots and lots of pie. Love you all!
P.S. If you are looking for some drinks to go with your holiday partying, I've got 5 suggestions for you over in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel today!
Peppermint Chocolate Silk Pie
| Ingredients |
- 30 oreos
- 6 tbsp. butter, melted
- 6 oz. dark chocolate
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tsp. peppermint extract
- 4 egg, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- peppermint candies/chocolate curls, for topping
| Instructions |
- Preheat oven to 350. Place the oreos in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely ground. Stir together with the melted butter and mix until well combined. Transfer to a 9" pie plate and press firmly into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Bake 10 minutes.
- Heat the chocolate in the microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring well between each, until melted and smooth. Let cool slightly. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar for 2 minutes. Scrape the bowl and add the melted chocolate to the butter mixture. Beat to combine. Add 2 tsp. peppermint extract and mix well. Add more peppermint, to taste.
- Scrape the bowl and switch to the whisk attachment. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 5 minutes after each addition. Transfer the filling to the crust and smooth with a spatula. Chill until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Once firm, beat the cream until stiff peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and 1 tsp. peppermint extract. Add more sugar and peppermint to taste. Top the pie with a giant, fluffy cloud of whipped cream and sprinkle with peppermint candies and chocolate curls.
RELATED: Pass the peppermint please