Steamed chocolate pudding cake with vanilla ice cream is perfect for the holidays
Do you love brownies but want to mix things up? Top Chef's Curtis Stone and his wife and actress Lindsay Price Stone's steamed chocolate pudding cake topped with Breyers ice cream is a great alternative to the classic dessert and is a decadent idea for a cozy night in -- or for a holiday party with friends!
Cake batter and glaze can be made up to 2 days ahead, covered separately and refrigerated. Gently rewarm glaze over low heat for about 1 minute, or until it is a pourable consistency.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz. semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 1/3 cups Breyers® Natural Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray inside of a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides. Spray parchment.
- In a small saucepan, bring 2/3 cup water to a simmer. Add cocoa powder and whisk for about 30 seconds, or until mixture has thickened slightly. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla to blend. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk between each addition. Whisk in cocoa powder mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and wrap pan tightly with plastic wrap.
- Place pan in a 13x9-inch baking dish. Add enough boiling water to dish to come halfway up sides of pan. Tent baking dish tightly with aluminum foil. Carefully transfer dish to oven and bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until cake springs back when gently pressed and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove plastic wrap and transfer loaf pan to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring cream just to a simmer. Remove from heat and add chocolate. Let sit for 3 minutes. Whisk glaze until smooth.
- Invert cake onto a serving platter. Remove parchment. Pour about one-fourth of glaze over warm cake. Slice and serve with Breyers® Natural Vanilla Ice Cream and remaining glaze.