Chocolate-cinnamon reindeer chow treat
Have you had Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies? It's made with cereal like Chex™ squares that gets covered in a mixture of melted chocolate, peanut butter, and butter, and then coated in powdered sugar. Apparently, in the Midwest where I'm originally from (and my husband and nephew, too), this snack is known as Puppy Chow. Elsewhere, Muddy Buddies. Who knew!
Whatever you call it, it's a fun and fabulous treat that's perfect for holiday get togethers, parties, and potlucks. Everyone loves it – with good reason, right?
This wasn't the type of thing we made in my house when I was growing up, so I'm a little late to the Puppy Chow party. I thought it would be fun to add in a few different flavors – cocoa powder and cinnamon – and give it a holiday theme.
- 9 cups Chex™ cereal, or similar cereal squares
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-2/3 cups powdered sugar
- 7-8 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 6 ounces M&Ms candy, more or less based on preference (I used red and green M&M's)
- 4-6 ounces small pretzels, more or less based on preference
- Aluminum foil or parchment paper
- 2 (1-gallon-sized) zippered plastic bags
- Add the cereal to a large bowl, and set aside.
- Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Whisk to combine. Divide the mixture between the two zippered bags. Set aside.
- Add the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter to a bowl and microwave the mixture in 30-second increments until melted.
- Pour the melted mixture over the cereal and gently toss to evenly coat the cereal.
- Divided the cereal between the two plastic bags. Close the bags and shake the cereal to coat it in the powdered sugar mixture.
- Spread the mixture out on the baking sheets. Allow it to sit for a few minutes.
- Add the cereal to a large, clean bowl, and add the M&M's and pretzels. Toss gently to combine.
- Store, refrigerated, in an airtight container.