Reasons why your pet shouldn't be at your holiday party

By Sean Dowling, Buzz60

According to veterinarians, thousands of pets are at risk of poisoning this holiday season.

The main problem is unattended drinks, which can lead to drunk dogs -- and it's no laughing matter.

Because of their small size, it doesn't take much before alcohol poisoning sets in for pups.

Experts say alcohol can lead to a distressed pet that doesn't know what's going on or even to seizures and respiratory failure.

Pets can still have safe holiday fun! Check out these holiday-ready furry friends:

Pets are also in danger if they drink water from the tree stand. Tree fertilizer and stagnant water can cause diarrhea and vomiting.

Since pets will be looking for scraps, make sure the table is cleared.

If swallowed, turkey bones can cause holes in the stomach requiring veterinary help.

If your dog bites a live electrical cord, it can cause burns in their mouth or cardiac arrest.

All in all, it's best to give pets a separate room away from the chaos.

Looking for the perfect gift for your pet this season? Look no further!