You'll never believe what's in these egg rolls
These Breakfast Egg Rolls with Sausage Gravy are where it's at! This has to be one of the most tasty and fun breakfasts that I've put together in a good long time, and it's just a pity that I was the only one home this morning to enjoy them. Oh, well... maybe next time I'll have some company over to feed!
To lighten these bad boys up, I used a mix of eggs and egg whites along with just enough bacon crumbles to give a little texture and added taste to the insides of the egg rolls. With the sausage gravy, I used almost the same one from another recipe, but used a reduced fat traditional breakfast sausage instead of lean turkey. That's only because it was on sale though. Of course, I had to use fat free milk and my whole wheat white flour because there's just no reason not to!
I also opted to bake these egg rolls instead of frying which cut down on a lot of unneeded fat, oil, and other baddies. At the end of it all, I ended up with an amazing breakfast that would be super fun to share with a small group. I'm thinking a kids sleepover, Christmas morning, or any other time there's a handful of people around for breakfast.
You really can't go wrong with this classic combination of eggs, cheese, bacon, sausage and gravy. These egg rolls are basically mini breakfast burritos that are the perfect dip-able size to plunge straight into this amazing sausage gravy; giving you the perfect all inclusive breakfast smorgasbord in one bite.
Country gravy has to be one of my favorite things on this planet. Why do I not make it more often? It's easy to do and so much better than what you'll get almost anywhere else.
- 2 Whole Large Eggs
- 4 Large Egg Whites
- 1/4 C. Fat Free Milk
- 1/4 C. Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar, Divided
- 2 Tbsp. Bacon Crumbles
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Lb. Reduced Fat Breakfast Sausage
- 1/4 C. Whole Wheat White Flour
- 2 C. Fat Free Milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with foil; lightly coat the foil with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. While he skillet is getting hot, whisk together the 2 Whole Large Eggs, 4 Large Egg Whites, and 1/4 C. Fat Free Milk.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and scramble. Once nearly done, add in 2 tbsp. of the Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar and 2 tbsp. Bacon Crumbles.
- Continue to cook until the eggs are done.
- Lay out one of the egg roll wrappers and fill with about 2 tbsp. of the scrambled eggs; top with a sprinkle of the remaining cheese and roll up.
- I roll mine similarly to how I would roll a burrito; folding over the egg, then folding the top and bottom edges up before continuing to roll.
- Line the egg rolls up on the prepared baking sheet and give them all a light coat of non-stick cooking spray. Place the baking sheet into the oven to bake for about 15 minutes.
- While the egg rolls are baking, place the 1/2 lb. sausage into a large skillet and brown over a medium-high heat; drain if needed.
- Once the sausage is cooked through reduce the heat to medium and add in the 1/4 c. flour; stir to coat the sausage evenly with the flour.
- Slowly whisk in the 2 c. milk and bring it to almost a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Remove the gravy from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste once it's reached the desired consistency.
- Once the egg rolls are done, remove them from the oven.
- Serve right away with the prepared gravy for dipping. Enjoy!