Oreo cupcakes for Halloween
While not technically a Halloween recipe, the oreo cookie goodness tucked in these cupcakes is practically sinful (in the very best of ways). And for that, I feel it's appropriate. The best part?Remove the witches hat cupcake toppers (how cute are they?!) and you could easily make these year round. Fair warning: there's a good chance you will. They're already in regular rotation around here and I'm not even going to apologize for it. Enjoy!
ps – How we're celebrating this year
for the cupcakes
- 3 oz. good quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (I used Bakers)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dutch processed cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup bread flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 6 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. white vinegar
- 18 Oreo cookies
for the frosting
- 5 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup crushed Oreos (10-12 oreos)
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners. Place an oreo cookie in the bottom of each liner.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chocolate, cocoa powder and water. Mix until chocolate is melted and incorporated. Place in fridge to chill for 20 minutes or so.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Grab the cooled chocolate, and whisk in the vegetable oil, eggs, vinegar and vanilla. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet an stir to combine.
- Pour batter into each paper liner until it's 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack.
- While your cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting by combining the flour and milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk consistently until it thickens. Remove from heat, pour into a small bowl and place in fridge until completely cooled.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the vanilla and mix until combined. Add the thickened milk mixture and mix on high for three minutes, or until frosting is light and fluffy (it should look and feel like whipped cream). Mix in crushed oreos.
- Frost your cooled cupcakes, sprinkle more crushed oreos on top, and enjoy!