This is the pasta dish of the season
Roasted, pureed butternut squash is the base of this Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta – the perfect, comforting fall dinner.
Luckily, now that the temps are cooling down outside, I have all the excuses I need to focus on comfort food. And it doesn't get more comforting than this Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta. We already know of my butternut squash addiction. And this is just yet another way to serve up my favorite veggie. We have been eating pasta like crazy lately (as I said – bring on the comfort food) and for my family, the creamier the better. I love that this recipe gives my family the creamy pasta, and gives me that butternut squash. Win for everyone!!
For the pancetta, I like to go to the deli counter at the grocery store and have them cut me a big, fat slice. Usually one slice, about 1/4″ – 1/2″ thick is all you'll need. Then you get nice chunks of pancetta in the pasta. Also, you'll want to make sure you are using freshly grated Parmesan (the good stuff), otherwise, it won't melt into the sauce like it's supposed to.
- 3 cups diced butternut squash (about 2 lbs)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 8 oz diced pancetta
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Place the butternut squash on a large baking sheet and toss with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until tender and lightly browned, 25-30 minutes. Let cool slightly, then place in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the spaghetti according to the package directions. Before draining, reserve 1-2 cups of the pasta water.
- Place a large pot or skillet over medium heat and add the diced pancetta. Cook until browned and crispy. Add the pureed squash, cream and garlic and bring to a light simmer. Add the pasta and stir to combine. Add half of the parmesan cheese, and add the pasta water as needed to loosen the pasta and make a creamy sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the pasta topped with the additional Parmesan cheese and top with chopped parsley, if desired.